[LUNA] Using Linux for infrastructure?

Bob Nance bob.nance at novationsys.com
Sun May 5 12:48:20 CDT 2013

We use a mixture of Windows, Mac OS X and Linux in our office. We choose the OS that best-matches the need. We currently only have one Linux host on the network. It is providing some Nagios reporting and a small web server for our internal use. Windows is our primary server system (using AD) and the Macs and other Windows computers are the endpoints.

Is anyone an "all-Linux" shop? If so, how do you like it?

At one time, we were all Mac, but that didn't last long. OpenDriectory (Apple's implementation of OpenLDAP) is difficult to support. If something goes wrong, you can spend time in "dscl" editing records by hand, but a lot of the OpenLDAP tools won't work on it. It's either Apple's tools or the command line.

-Bob

---
  Bob Nance
  Novation Systems