[LUNA] LPR / LPD file sharing

Bob Nance bob.nance at novationsys.com
Thu May 16 14:54:58 CDT 2013

> Ran across this today with another organization.  Has anyone ever seen a set up where one server submits a data file (flat file export of database) via LPR to a remote server LPD for processing by the remote server?  The processing essentially takes the file performs some activity based on the data.
>
> Novel way of shuffling files around.

I have done a ton of processing on data that was sent from a print job. Both BSD (lpr) and SYSV printing (lp) use simple scripts to process the print job. I guess I never thought of doing more than massaging the output for output, but I guess that's an easy way to use an rsh-like interface to do some work remotely. It would just be a one-way process.

Ya' see something new, everyday!

-Bob

---
  Bob Nance