[LUNA] new build

Allen Krell allen.krell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 19:28:16 CDT 2014

Just an update on my build.   I bought a gigabyte board from GigaParts,
pre-populated with 8GB memory and a dual core I3.  I bought a solid state
drive, case, and haswell compatible power supply from newegg.  For now, I
am using Intel on chip graphics.

I installed the debian version of Linux Mint.  EVERYTHING worked right off
the bat.   Many may wonder, why only buy a I3?  First, for my needs it is
plenty fast enough for everything I do.  Solid state drive helps.   Second,
this build gets me into the Haswell socket world so I can install an I7
later on as prices drop.

I spent about $600 without a monitor.   I know there are cheaper ways to
have a PC, but I know exactly what is in mine.

My last build was good for me for 8-9 years (with upgrades along the way),
I'll see how long this one lasts.