[LUNA] FreeBSD ZFS 'RAID0' setup ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 3 21:56:53 CDT 2014

.... I am provisioning a new box to replace this one (an aging 55W
AMD64X2 3800+, 2 GB RAM, 1X 40 GB SATA-1 root drive, 1X 160 GB SATA-1
mounting /home, running Fedora-14 64-bit, to be re-purposed into a
m0n0wall box). I never upgraded cuz I liked the look & feel of F14 &
felt no urge to move. Now the machine feels *SLOW* (FireFox takes 25-30
sec. to launch, similar for T-bird). New box is AMD 25W quad-core Jaguar
based, Sempron 3850, 16 GB of RAM, 4X 2.5" 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA-3 HGST's,
to be partitioned & ZFS-RAID-ed & run FreeBSD 9.2 64-bit, I have been
reading feverishly on ZFS & FreeBSD, like everything I have found so
far, however 1 question. Given only 4 drives, I don't want to RAID-1
(mirror) or RAIDZ-n (RAID-5/6-ish), & lose 25-50 % of possible storage.
The machine will be rsynced nightly (at least) & tar-bziped twice
weekly, & w/ all new 2.5" drives, good cooling, etc. I don't expect
trouble, & will be well prepped if it rears its ugly head. Thus I would
like to RAID-0 (stripe) the 4 ZFS partitions. I located several very
detailed tutorials, notably
https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE, which walk
you through everything in gory detail, except for that 1 question. is it
possible to just stripe ZFS partitions ? I thought I remembered reading
that somewhere, but failed to bookmark it & haven't been able to
re-acquire it .... Any help appreciated ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III