[LUNA] linux journal

Paul F. Pearson pfpearson at mchsi.com
Mon Jul 7 09:57:48 CDT 2014

That was all over the Linux subreddit, and is mentioned in this week's Distrowatch Weekly. I actually haven't read the article yet, but the summaries and discussions that I read indicate that Tails was also a trigger.

My opinion follows, disregard the rest if you don't care about it.

I think that I kind of understand the logic (as much as I can without actually reading the entire article), and I very much disagree with its application. The powers that be (NSA) see that "the bad guys" all use Tails and/or read Linux Journal (perhaps the "interesting" Tails users all got their info from Linux Journal?). Using a fishing analogy, the "bad guys" are tasty fish to be caught and fileted. So, in order to catch the tasty fish, they cast a wide (too wide!) net where the fish are feeding; never mind the collateral damage to the non-tasty fish. Kind of like fishing with dynamite.

Given the number of people on LUNA who likely have to maintain a security clearance, I kind of worry about the probability of an administrative/clerical/technical error putting names on one too many lists. The chances are higher with the greater number of names they're maintaining.

------
Paul F. Pearson
We all laugh in the same language