[LUNA] Unix training & book recommendation

Christopher R. Key crkey at crkey.com
Fri Mar 21 19:52:03 CDT 2014

I'm looking for a recommendation on a goo Unix reference or "learn
Unix" book that I can provide to new hires.

I'm needing to revamp the training we do for our campus new hires,
which includes a course on Unix skills.  Sadly what we've been finding
is college graduates have little to no Unix skills (yes I know, I could
probably recruit at your school but that's not the point).  The
expectation is a one day class, but the learned skills would be used
over the course of the 5 week bootcamp.

Here are some I've had or used in the past.  I'm curious what this
group's thoughts are, especially since most of these are dated (Unix
doesn't change, but given the last IP conversation, apparently it is).

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002619.do
Learning the Unix Operating System, 5th Edition (O'Reilly 2001)

http://www.amazon.com/Unix-Linux-Visual-QuickStart-Edition/dp/0321636783/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1395247274&sr=8-18&keywords=unix
Unix and Linux: Visual QuickStart Guide, 4th Edition (2009)

http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Impatient-Edition-Paul-Abrahams/dp/0201823764/ref=sr_1_98?ie=UTF8&qid=1395247381&sr=8-98&keywords=unix
UNIX for the Impatient, 2nd Edition (1995)