[LUNA] How to ID a Q6600 CPU under Linux ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 3 17:33:31 CST 2014

.... We have an Intel Core-2 Duo D6600 (?) box @ work, which is due for
an upgrade from FC7 64-bit to CentOS 5.n, probably tomorrow. It will
also get a new gfx card, as the old one apparently croaked. I have been
suggesting a CPU upgrade as well to a Q6600, now on Ebay for $25.00 -
$40.00. I have a Q6600 box @ home, configured as a file server, Tyan
Tomcat Q35t mbd, 8 GB RAM, FC 14 64-bit. I just looked @ /proc/cpuinfo
for that machine & it doesn't tell me too much detail about the specific
sub-model of the CPU. I want to make sure that if we spend the $$$/time
on the CPU upgrade, it will go well vis-a-vis compatibility &
performance. Google says I want a CPU labeled 'SLACR', but I don't know
how to determine that under Linux .... Anyone know how to get that info
short of tearing the box down ? Most of them on Ebay *are* SLACR's, BTW,
but I wanted to be able to compare that w/ my CPU for reference before
recommending in concrete .... TIA & have a nice day ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III