[LUNA] update errors

Michael W. Hall hallmw at att.net
Mon Sep 1 18:45:54 CDT 2014

I am getting the below error when I do apt-get update.

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/Release.gpg  Something
wicked happened resolving 'us.archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address
associated with hostname)

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise-updates/Release.gpg
Something wicked happened resolving 'us.archive.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 -
No address associated with hostname)

W: Failed to fetch
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise-security/Release.gpg
Something wicked happened resolving 'security.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No
address associated with hostname)

W: Failed to fetch
http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/Release.gpg  Something
wicked happened resolving 'extras.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 - No address
associated with hostname)

W: Failed to fetch
http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg  Something
wicked happened resolving 'dl.google.com:http' (-5 - No address
associated with hostname)

W: Failed to fetch
http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/dists/precise/Release.gpg  Something
wicked happened resolving 'repo.steampowered.com:http' (-5 - No address
associated with hostname)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Any ideas what could be the solution?  It is tempting to upgrade to
14.04 LTS.  However, I am afraid I will have to go through the trouble
of getting the Ubuntu classic look again.

Michael