[LUNA] more pkg questions ....

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Mon Sep 8 15:41:46 CDT 2014

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Well, I am 100% noob to FreeBSD, so I'm in the dark .... I thought the
> 2nd 'pkg version' command showed which of my installed pkg's had
> updates available, I got that from another list .... I then thought
> either of the next 2 pkg commands would do the upgrade ....

Love BSD though I do, I stick to other distros these days. FreeBSD has
changed enough that I have difficulty keeping up, and the package tools
don't come close to what the Linux world has to offer.

It was CVSup, now it's subversion.
It was cd /usr/src ; make world ; make installworld, now it's a longer
process or freebsd-update.

And even the ports subsystem isn't quite the same.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Architect