[LUNA] [OT] hardware question ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 16 14:11:17 CDT 2015

.... I bought 2 mATX SuperMicro socket C32 boards for new builds. *Both*
refuse to POST/boot. Dead silence, no beeps, no fans whirring up,
*nada*. PSU checks out AOK w/ tester. Upon recommendation from
SuperMicro tech support, I removed mbd from case & hooked up just PSU
24-pin, PSU 8-pin & CPU fan plug & shorted the power-on header. *Nada*.
Question: Can a bad CPU cause this ? I tried 2 different CPUs, same
story, but both were/are Ebay purchases, supposedly good, from reputable
sellers, but I haven't (& can't, AFAIK) tested  them by themselves ....
TIA & have a good one.

BTW, the boxen will both be running either Linux or NetBSD, just to make
it sorta near topic ;-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III