[LUNA] (ana)cron question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Aug 5 11:03:30 CDT 2015

I have several boxen on my LAN, all running some form of linux or *BSD.
I want some of them to backup configuration files and/or /etc and/or the
whole root fs for themselves & other LAN boxen periodically, probably
weekly. I read the man page on my FC14-x86_64 box (soon to be upgraded
to CentOS-6, so don't start ;-) ) & have a question. It looks like I
want root to do the backing up so as to have access to all the stuff
under /etc or /. That box uses anacron to take care of that for the
system. I want to add to what it is doing, in a fashion which doesn't
interfere w/ system operations & gets preserved across OS upgrades. I
kinda expected some sort of crontab.local (following rc.local), but no
such capability seems to exist. How do I go about scheduling these
backups for the various machines which will be doing the backing-up,
starting w/ the linux box ? I am planning to schedule rsync's to do the
actual backing up, I just need to figure out how to interleave that job
w/ other stuff the OS is doing on its own, w/o interfering w/ whatever
else is going on. TIA for any pointers & have a good one.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III