[LUNA] Installing GNU Pascal Compiler on Cygwin

Gayle Lee Fairless fairless at HiWAAY.net
Wed Jan 14 12:15:08 CST 2015

    I have been attempting to assemble from source and/or install GNU
Pascal Compiler (gpc) onto Cygwin on a Windows 7 machine.  Attempting to
follow the instructions in the manual got me as far as a make file
result saying that the recipe for x86_64-unknown-cygwin did not exist.

    On another attempt with configure with more recent code, the results
seem to indicate that libatomic, libcilkrtr, libitm, libsanitizer,
libvtv, ISL 0.10, CLooG 0.17.0, and ClooG 0.18.0 were not available.  I
also need to get makeinfo to work and find su or sudo.

    I tried logging into my admin account and expanding
gpc-20070904-with-gcc.i686-pc-cygwin.tar.gz directly into the cygwin folder.

gayle at weirdcat ~/Documents
$ gpc-run --version
gpc-run 20070904
Copyright (C) 2001-2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

gayle at weirdcat ~/Documents
$ gpc-run --help
gpc-run: Run programs compiled with GPC and translate runtime error
messages to a more human readable format.

Copyright (C) 2001-2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program is part of GPC. GPC is free software; see the source
for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Usage: gpc-run [options] command arguments
  --help     Display this help and exit
  --version  Display this help and exit
  -r RUNNER  Run executable with RUNNER
  -e FILE    Redirect stderr of program to FILE
             (if FILE is `-', leave stderr; by default, stderr is redirected
             to stdout, and only the stack dump etc. appears on stderr)
  -E FILE    Append stderr of program to FILE

gayle at weirdcat ~/Documents

    I guess I'm missing something obvious to the experienced user.  I
was able to run a C program just fine.  Since it prints out the
environment variables, I suppose it could help; however, the file is 9K
in size.  The gpc.exe in /bin does not give any response to --version or
--help.  Obviously it does not compile either!  Subsequently gpc-run has
nothing on which to work.

    Thanks for any pointers!  Happy New Year!

        Sincerely,
        (Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
        fairless at ieee.org