[LUNA] tethering a Nokia N900

Gayle Lee Fairless fairless at HiWAAY.net
Wed Jun 17 20:06:58 CDT 2015

> On 6/9/2015 2:45 PM, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
>> We just recently signed up with T-Mobile on their special $100 for two
>> lines using unlimited data, text, whatever.  My wife is doing fine with
>> her old Samsung Galaxy S 4G T595.  Although it is an older model, hers
>> is working fine.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm using or trying to use a Nokia N900 running Maemo 5 similar
>> to Fremantle 1.3 derived from Debian.   I need to find the
>> wireless-tools package that used to  be available for it, and I also
>> would like to find the Joikuspot Hotspot program that I used to have.  I
>> have not been able to find the archives in the house where I hid that
>> stuff after I wore out my first Nokia N900 cellphone.  I have
>> 'ransacked' the Maemo.org website trying to find the actual packages and
>> even left a request on the Joiku Facebook page (I guess I need to speak
>> Finnish!).  The Opera Store only serves the Nokia Symbian OS.
>>
>> Thanks for any help to refine my efforts.  I managed to get it working
>> well enough to tether my laptop through it to post this request.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> (Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
>> fairless at ieee.org
>>

> On 6/13/2015 3:04 PM  David Yancey Jr
> Just subscribed to the LUNA mailing list. As a fellow North
> Alabama(Shoals Area)  Linux user I hope you find what you're looking for
> at the following link:
>
> http://maemo.org/packages/view/wireless-tools/
>
>> On 6/13/2015 3:11 PM, davidyanceyjr . wrote:
>>> http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0/free/w/wireless-tools/
> I was able to get the wireless-tools off one of the repositories at
> gilababy but am still looking for Joikuspot for the Nokia N900
> cellphone.  The official Joiku website and the Opera Store no longer
> sell it.  I had it on my first Nokia N900 cellphone but can't find yet
> where I misplaced it.  I was hoping to find a site with old software.
> Since it is proprietary, I guess it is not available.  And I did pay a
> donation or fee at the time I bought it back in circa 2008, 2009, etc.

I found nearly the equivalent software in Mobile Hotspot and its follow
on Qt Mobile Hotspot.  Mobile Hotspot (MH) is slow but quite reliable.
It took only a day to download a 1.5 GB file that contains the Qt files
to enhance Qt Mobile Hotspot.  It shall probably take me a lot longer to
learn Qt, but at least I have the software!  It also did not drop out
the way direct tethering was doing every 15 minutes.

I want to enhance the security and speed.  If there are some nice Open
Source libraries available, I would like to know about them!  Anyway, I
definitely have something to keep me busy!

Sincerely,
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
fairless at ieee.org