[LUNA] [(way) OT]: VOIP/POTS

HalX halinux at frontier.com
Mon Feb 29 14:16:49 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 09:37:27AM -0553, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> Slow list, so .... I am interested in using voip to replace my AT&T
> phone line. I have Wowway internet, seems to work AOK. I would like to
> use it to place & receive calls from my in-house POTS phones. Feasible ?
> URL's ? Experience/gotcha's ? I was planning on using a RPi running
> NetBSD & Asterisk, but I think there is a bit more info/setup required.
> I have googled up some info, but most of it is going over my head. The
> key detail is I want to use my existing in-house phones/jacks & have
> them operate in/out over my cable-internet. *Any* help appreciated. TIA
> & have a good one.

I suspect you have already looked into one of the hardware schemes; JACK
and, I think, JACK+; the units that plug into the wall.. I know nothing
about them but see many blurbs..

Here we chose keeping our PSTN line, using VOIP for the long distance long
connects yakking..  Setting up Google Voice and 'Zoiper Legacy' and
Simonics, simonics.com, for the gateway works well with a sound card
headset/mic..  I also can use the out jack on the sound card and a separate
USB mic; either schemes works well with my 260Mbs broadband..  The sound
card headset is better quality than any PSTN instrument we have..  *G*

Getting all that together wasn't easy and I have no idea what I did to
finally finish the job..  All free except Bill Simon asks for a small, $6,
one time, donation to use his gateway..  Bill's support is good..  Google
also requires a google account which is free for now anyway..

--

                      GNU-Linux/UNIX - Slackware 14.1 JFS X86