[LUNA] Repair Boot

Michael Hall hallmw at att.net
Thu Jun 13 07:55:26 CDT 2019

Well I need some help.  I posted about my laptop.  I had Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed.  I was out of town and the power went out.  I shut my laptop down and closed the screen.  I think I may have closed it before the shutdown was complete.  Anyway when the power came back on I turned on the computer and it would not boot.  I get the Alienware BIOS screen then I get a screen with a blinking cursor.  I have been trying to install Ubuntu Mate 18.04, but no matter what I do, the install will hang.  I have made two bootable USB drives and tried a DVD image.  The DVD image did not get as far as the USB drives.
I found a utility called Boot-Repair-Disk.  Just wondering if this actually works or if anyone has heard of this utility.  Anyway, if you have any suggestions they are appreciated.  I have tried putting acpi=off and nomodeset on the lines that start with linux in the grub.conf file.  My computer is an Alienware 15 R3.
Thanks,Michael