[LUNA] Virtual Machines

Michael W. Hall hallmw at att.net
Sun Dec 15 12:01:12 CST 2013

I have a question.  We use VMs at work for our development.  Over the
years, I have been trying to find a way to manage our VMs.  Currently we
just have an external HD that has different VMs on it and you get the
one that you need for the project you are working on.

I am not sure this is possible, but was wondering if something like the
following exists.  I would like to have a VM server.  I would like to be
able to open VMWare and then have a server present me with VM to choose
from.  These VMs would be configured for the different projects we are
working. This way every developer has the same VM configuration for each
project.

If the VM needed something added you would change the VM configuration
on the server.  This would provide a way to manage the VMs for each
project.

Presently, the VMs are on each developers workstation and they may not
have the same configuration.  I have read a little on this, but do not
really have a good grasp on it.  Is anyone on the list doing this?  Can
the server serve up the VMs without having to copy it to your
workstation?