[LUNA] Virtual Machines

Bob Nance bob.nance at novationsys.com
Sun Dec 15 12:12:31 CST 2013

This is what VCenter does for you. It presents a list of configured VMs,
gives you a central place to manage them and lets you start and stop them,
as needed. It will do this across multiple VM hosts, as well.

With a limited number of running VMs on a single host, you can use the SMB
version of VCenter. If you want to control 4 or more hosts' inventories
and launch more than 4 guests on a host, you need to have the
higher-priced enterprise-licensed version.

If you want to do this for free, look at Convirt and openqrm. I have not
used these and make no claims. I just know that they do some of the
management and have a free version available. Red Hat is in the business
of virtualization, they should have a tool, too, that, with any luck, will
be available in a Red Hat-released open source version for the many Red
Hat clones (Fedora, CentOS, etc.). Their paid tool is virt-manager (catchy
nameŠ NOT!).

--
 Bob Nance

 Novation Systems