[LUNA] Free Pascal, Lazarus, and Dev-Pascal

Gayle Lee Fairless gayle.fairless at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 22:55:07 CST 2014

On 2/18/2014 2:31 PM, Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> I haven't attempted Free Pascal or Lazarus (the two seem intimately intertwined, even though fpc technically doesn't require Lazarus) on Winodw; only briefly have I looked on Linux. I'd expect Lazarus to mostly "just work" in Windows but I've been wrong a lot lately. Making sure your paths don't have spaces in them should help a lot.

I ran the simple tutorial program in Lazarus and its help file online so
I guess that is the way to go with Pascal with Turbo Pascal 7.0 (and
also GWBASIC) in DosBox .74 for nostalgia.  The Free Pascal website even
has a nice page on the conversion of Turbo Pascal source code to Free
Pascal.

> My only comment is that Bloodshed Dev-C++ is often considered
"out of date"; the last update was 3 days short of 8 years ago.
This saddens me, as I enjoyed it years ago. I recall Code::Blocks
(I see you have it installed) being a frequently recommended
alternative. See [1] for further opinion.

> [1] http://clicktobegin.net/programming/why-you-shouldnt-use-dev-c/

	I read the article and have Code::Blocks, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Express, and Qt versions 4 and 5.

	Those choices should take care of the C family, Pascal, and BASIC
family.  I also have Python 3.3.

	I also have version 1.9 of both Open Watcom C, C++, and FORTRAN 77.

	Do you have a recommendation for FORTRAN?  (Free, of course!)

	I would guess FORTRAN 95 or a later one would be a good choice?

	I was also hoping for a good fpcmake -T X86_64 etc. and etc. to use.  I
am not experienced with doing a super build but wanted to get a 64-bit
version of Free Pascal that I could use with the 32-bit version.

		Thanks for your help!  I just got a hefty book by Charles Petzold,
Programming Microsoft WINDOWS with C#.  I like his writing style.  A
friend recommended the book.  I definitely shall have a lot of reading
with just that book.

		Sincerely,
		(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
		fairless at ieee.org