[LUNA] Curiosity killed the cat ....

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Sat Jul 5 22:44:06 CDT 2014

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> .... Is there any rhyme or reason to the version numbering of
> FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD ? Do the version numbers correspond to kernel
> versions, for example, or perhaps something else ? Inquiring minds
> wanna know ....

The kernel is locked in step with the userland (tight libc integration).
FreeBSD is on a time-based schedule, so they are always cutting a new
revision. Major numbers have major improvements, entire subsystems cut
out, reworked, and replaced. NetBSD and OpenBSD move at a slower pace,
NetBSD preferring to preserve cross-platform capabilities and OpenBSD
being mostly focused on security.

> Also, separately, I thought there used to be package manifests (list
> of packages included in a particular version), I can't seem to locate
> them at the moment, am I misremembering ?

ls /var/db/pkg

There's some ports tools (pkg_*), as well as portupgrade, etc.

It's come a long way. subversion is the new way, cvsup (and csup) are
gone by the wayside (too late, IMO, but it was at least consistent for
years). There are also some ports management packages.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Architect