[LUNA] various boot questions/notes

Allen Krell allen.krell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 18:48:29 CST 2014

OK, I figured it out.  Here are my lessons learned.

1.  In Windows 8.1, restart is not the same as powering off the machine.
Let it do a complete power down (perhaps even remove the battery and power
cord).  For Dell, when the logo is shown hit F2.
2.Most hits you will receive on a typical google search on the subject of
UEFI and Linux are out of date or apply to BIOS from 2010-2012 time
frames.  For Dell at least, the newest BIOS supports legacy or UEFI, but
not both.  If you want legacy, you have to go into BIOS, load a different
ROM, then reboot.
3.  On this Dell bios, it won't see other legacy boot options (CD/USB)
unless a bootable ISO image is already on the device.  If no image is
present, it won't show it as an option.
4. My take at this point, go ahead and get a distribution with a UEFI
signature.   No reason to go legacy unless your favorite distro doesn't
support it.

Now, after saying all that, I haven't completed the install yet.  Instead
of dual boot, I am considering buying a SSD, and physically removing the
windows drive.