[LUNA] Upgrading to CentOS 6.n

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 11 10:09:58 CST 2015

I have an older server running FC14-64-bit which I am planning to
upgrade to CentOS6.n. Due to excruciatingly poor decision making on my
part in the original install, I will also be re-partitioning in the
process :-). I have a kickstart file setup & ostensibly ready to go. For
now it sets up 4 partitions per drive, boot, swap, root & home. Boot,
root & home will be LVM'ed into larger 'partitions' & then the install
will proceed. I am planning on a RAID1 LVM for /boot, RAID10 for root, &
RAID0 for /home. I am also considering RAID5 for /home. I have another
machine running NetBSD 6.1.5 with a similar disk-partition (actually
slice) arrangement, with a RAID5 /home, 4 data slices, 1 parity, 1
hot-swap/spare. Despite my best efforts, I have misaligned
disk-blocks/RAID elements/FS blocks & resulting horribly slow I/O :-/. I
want to avoid that w/ this install :-). Will the LVM RAID5 kickstart
setup 'do the right thing' WRT disk-block/LV alignment by itself, or are
there any gotchas (hopefully w/ work-arounds :-) ) for a RAID 5 setup ?
I am comfortable w/ a RAID0 here, everything on that 'partition' will be
backed up elsewhere across my LAN, but I wouldn't mind the extra
robustness WRT disk failure of a RAID5 vs. RAID0, I just don't want the
performance hit of a fubar'ed install :-/ .... TIA for *ANY*
advice/clues/URL's/etc. on this matter, & have a good one ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III