[LUNA] [(way) OT]: VOIP/POTS

Bob Nance bob.nance at novationsys.com
Mon Feb 29 09:44:07 CST 2016

We use VoIP in one of our offices running over cable internet. 90% of the time, it’s great (and is very inexpensive, since we are already paying for the ISP circuit). The other 10%, it is choppy, warbled and completely drops out. This is frustrating to the office workers, the callers and me (who hears from both).

We are, eventually, going to upgrade to a synchronous service (MetroLAN or similar) and use the cable internet for it’s raw speed and the other service for the VoIP. Overall, while I use it, I am waiting for the day I can afford the better service to carry it.

+1 for price (and cool features of VoIP that you can’t do with POTS)
-1 for quality and reliability.

-Bob

PS When a political call comes over the VoIP line, quality is not an issue. When your mom calls, it is.