[LUNA] Reply-To discussion

John Price jp_luna at gcfl.net
Tue Apr 23 22:02:11 CDT 2013

The help on the reply:to option has the following to say.  I see both
sides, but it does seem like it would be better for most if we allowed the
option of replying to the poster or the list...

*reply_goes_to_list* (general): Where are replies to list messages
directed? Poster is *strongly* recommended for most mailing lists.

This option controls what Mailman does to the Reply-To: header in messages
flowing through this mailing list. When set to *Poster*, no
original
message, it is not stripped. Setting this value to either *This list*
or *Explicit
address* causes Mailman to insert a specific Reply-To: header in all
messages, overriding the header in the original message if necessary (*Explicit
address* inserts the value of reply_to_address).
There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To: header.
One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To: settings to convey
their valid return address. Another is that modifying Reply-To: makes it
much more difficult to send private replies. See `Reply-To' Munging
Considered Harmful <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html> for a
general discussion of this issue. See Reply-To Munging Considered
Useful<http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml>for a
dissenting opinion.