[LUNA] WOW Cable Modem

Joshua Krasnow jmk1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 14 21:47:22 CDT 2015

It's a "multimedia terminal adapter", which in practice means it has
VOIP ata adapter built in. I don't know anything about wowway, but I
suspect if you use their phone service, you may need to use their box.
If you just use their internet, you may be able to just buy your own
(Motorola/arris sb6121 or zoom 5341j should be fine, and pay for
themselves in less than a year depending how much the ISP is charging
for a rental.) I suspect they're trying to get people off POTS. If you
want to DIY, you can buy a little ATA (analog terminal adapter) and
establish a POTS termination service with an SIP provider (I use voip.ms
since it's super cheap and we don't use the "landline" phone much
anymore.)
--